VW of Highland Park is located near Glenview, IL
The Village of Glenview had 350 residents when it was incorporated in 1899. Today, the population is almost 45,000. Located in Cook County, the Village's fine amenities and services, excellent schools, 34 parks and playgrounds covering more than 290 acres, numerous options for shopping and dining and proximity to local expressways and commuter trains have made it one of Chicago's premier suburbs -- a vibrant, thriving community that manages growth with success and style.
Visitors can find the Kohl Childrens Museum of Greater Chicago. The museum has 17 interactive, hands-on exhibits for children ages birth to 8. All of our exhibits and programs are aligned to the Illinois State Learning Standards and are designed to nurture a love of learning in young children. Around 330,000 people visit Kohl Children's Museum each year. The Museum has approximately 7,000 member families, who enjoy the purpose-built facility, hands-on exhibits, and easily accessible location.
The entire Northfield Township originally was known as the town of Northfield. There were different names for various areas within the community. The Post Office demanded that an official name be selected, whereupon a special meeting of the villagers was called. Various names were suggested, but he name Glenview won the majority vote on May 7, 1895. The village was incorporated in 1899. Much of the Glenview area remained farmland but after World War II, developers such as Tom Sullivan began to give the township its current suburban appearance.
"The Park" is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the Village of Glenview. Located near the center of the village, just south of the Glen development, The Park was established as home to a religious society in 1894 by Hugh Burnham, the first village president and nephew of architect Daniel Burnham. This religious society is based on the writings of Emanuel Swedenborg a scientist and theologian who lived and wrote in the 1700s. In the late 1890s through the turn of the century, New Church members purchased 40 acres of land and built their houses in an oval surrounding a common park area where the church and school were built. Architect Swain Nelson, one of the designers of Lincoln Park, designed the neighborhood.
As part of the New Church service mission to be universally accepted as a guidepost for kindness and character, today, the Glenview New Church Schools are open to many students beyond the congregation and the church has been updated and expanded to accommodate a much larger Sunday service. Despite its new open focus and broadening congregation, the original church in the center and many of the surrounding buildings remain the same today as they were in 1900.
Naval Air Station Glenview was a major facility in Glenview for many years. It was the host for a number of squadrons, including the Coast Guard air/sea rescue helicopter service for Chicago/Lake Michigan and a squadron of P-3 Orions which had the mission of East Coast antisubmarine warfare. The rationale for basing the squadron there was that so many reserve staff were in the central United States, and it was convenient to base the facility near the staff. As a 1−2 hour checklist had to be executed before scanning the seas, there was actually little dead time in the flight to the coast. The base consisted of 1 million cubic yards (800,000 m3) of concrete, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) of runways and 108 U.S. Navy buildings. The only two buildings that are left from the naval airstation are the pilot tower and the chapel.
In 1995, the base was closed as part of the Base Realignment and Closure military restructuring process. The land was deeded back to Glenview by the U.S. Department of Defense. A reuse plan was completed by the Village of Glenview in 1995 and updated into a master plan by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill in 1998. The village then assumed the role of Master Developer. The 1,121-acre (4.54 km2) development was named "The Glen" in 1999. It comprises approximately 15% of the area of Glenview. It contains new homes, offices, and shopping centers, including The Glen Town Center. Among other amenities, it includes a lake, soccer fields, walking and biking trails, two golf courses, Kohl Children's Museum, the Glenview Park District Park Center, Attea Middle School, and the Glen/North Glenview commuter train station.